Here’s Tom Ford’s list of essentials for every modern man (from Vogue UK)…
- A sense of humour.
- A daily read of a newspaper.
- A sport that you love and are good at.
- A good cologne that becomes a signature.
- A well cut dark suit.
- A pair of classic black lace up shoes.
- A smart blazer.
- The perfect pair of dark denim jeans.
- Lots of crisp white cotton shirts.
- Always new socks and underwear, throw away the old ones every 6 months.
- A classic tuxedo.
- A beautiful day watch with a metal band.
- The perfect sunglasses.
- Perfect teeth. If you don’t have them, save up and get them fixed.
I saw this on ma.tt, a very readable blog by Matt Mullenweg, the founder of #WordPress.
I don’t disagree with any of these, and I think Tom Ford is one of the coolest dudes around, but would add a few…
- One or more pieces of fine art. Start with a Black & White photo; they can be had for ~$100.
- A car you can be proud of, no matter how old or funky condition.
- At least 1 piece of furniture they love.
- More than one music player. Jawbone, iPhone, etc. for portable and something big for the home.
- A pair of running shoes. Always be ready to go running.
- A bicycle. See #5.